TERMS AND CONDITIONS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE OFFICIAL SELECTION OF THE BBK MENDI FILM BILBAO-BIZKAIA 2022
The 15th BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia (Mendi Film) will be celebrated onsite in Bilbao from the 9th to the 18th of December 2022.
The Festival is organised by the “Asociación Cultural Mendi Film Festival Elkartea” Association, (company tax code G01503192) and is based in Portal del Rey 14-3dch, Vitoria-Gasteiz 01001 (Spain).
The International Festival of Mountaineering, Adventure, Extreme Sports and Nature Films and Documentaries, Mendi Film, has been a member of the International Alliance for Mountain Film (IAMF) since 2011.
. All work related to the following subjects is eligible for submission: alpinism, climbing, mountain and adventure sports, skiing, extreme sports, ecology, environment, ethnography…
· Participation is restricted to productions made from the 1st of January 2020 onwards.
· Each participant may enter more than one piece, provided that a separate entry form is submitted for each one.
· The Selection Committee will choose the participating films.
· The selected films will be screened once or twice from the 9th to the 17th of December 2022. The awarded films will likely be screened on the 18th of December 2022. The Organising Committee will decide on which date and at which theatre will the selected films be screened. The Festival’s Board of Directors reserves the right to modify said schedule.
· Participants must ensure that they hold the intellectual property rights and public screening rights for the registered work. Participants must also guarantee that no legal, contractual or any other limitation exists that could prevent the organisers of Mendi Film from publicly screening the work. Similarly, they must be able to prove that they possess the appropriate authorisation from any people or organisations that hold copyright for different elements that appear in the film, such as music, videos, images, graphics, etc. The registered participant is committed to keep the organisers of Mendi Film free from any possible third party claim that may be initiated in relation to copyrighted material. Mendi Film reserves the right to disqualify any film that does not hold the authorised copyrights.
SUBMISSIONS – LAST DAY 15th SEPTEMBER 2022
· The submission period for the BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia 2021 will be from 1st of April to 15th September 2022.
· The submissions will be carried out by the filmmakers, producers or legal representatives.
· Submissions for the 15th BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia are free to enter.
· The submission must be entered in one of these options, attaching the requested material in both ways: By completing the online form of the official website of the festival (www.mendifilmfestival.com) or by completing the online multi-submissions form of the International Alliance for Mountain Film (https://www.mountainfilmalliance.org/multi-submission-form/).
· Each work, regardless of the source language, must be sent with an English subtitle file (.srt) and/or a time-coded dialogue list in English for subtitling purposes.
· All submissions received will be acknowledged.
· The Mendi Film Organising Committee will personally inform all participants on the final film selections before the list is made public, and at least three weeks prior to the opening of the festival.
· The Mendi Film Organising Committee will notify the copyright holders of the film selections via email. Upon confirmation of the selection, the copyright holders will have three working days to revoke their involvement.. If the film is accepted for participation in this edition, the selected copy will become part of the Mendi Film Historical Archive, thus being open to internal consultations or to being used as promotional material for the Festival, once authorised by the operation and distribution copyright holder.
. If the film is accepted for participation in this edition, the selected copy will become part of the Mendi Film Historical Archive, thus being open to internal consultations or to being used as promotional material for the Festival, once authorised by the operation and distribution copyright holder.
All films selected must meet the following requirements:
Video codec: Apple prores 422 or DNXHD 115
Audio MPEG-4 stereo, 48kHz, 128 kbps
If the films are sent via post (USB flash drive, HDD Laptop Hard Drive, SD card), the Organising Committee will not cover either the post or packaging costs, or any customs charges.
The submissions must be sent with three images and the film poster, which will be reproduced, published or exhibited for promotional purposes for the Festival.
Requirements for the submission of pictures:
- Format: JPEG or PNG
- Minimum resolution: 3500x2000 or higher
- Maximun size: 5000kB
Images must be sent with the title of the film, location and include a photographer credit. The images submitted for the selected films will be kept in the Festival archives.
Please remember to include the Press Kit and director’s CV.
BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia reserves the right to edit and use the information on the selected films and the promotional material submitted (including information submitted alongside the form, photographs, posters, trailers or film clips that are under three minutes) in Mendi Film’s official channels, and in online or offline media outlets.
The Board of Directors of the Festival will name an International Jury consisting of 5 members.
The International Jury will establish internal regulations in accordance with the Board of Directors of the Festival. Their decision will be irrevocable. The Jury will grant the following awards:
· Grand Prize: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €6,000*
· Best Director: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €3,000*
· Best Script: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €2,000*
· Best Cinematography: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €2,000*
· Jury Award: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €2,000*
· Best Original Soundtrack: "Txalaparta" trophy & €1200*
· Best Mountaineering Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €1,200*
· Best Climbing Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €1,200*
· Best Culture & Nature Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €1,200*
· Best Sport & Adventure Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €1,200*
· Best Short Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €1,000*
· Best Film in Basque: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €1,000*
The film chosen by the audience will also be awarded.
· Audience Award: “Eguzkilore” trophy & €1,000*
*The gross amount of the prizes is subject to tax.
The presentation of the cue sheet is mandatory to be eligible for the Award for Best Original Mountain Film Soundtrack
Films with a total duration of 30 minutes or less will fall under the Short Film category.
The Official Jury will be able to give Special Mentions to the films of their choice.
Copyright holders will receive monetary prizes between April and June of 2023.
MENDI TOUR 2023
Every film from the Official Selection of the BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia 2022 will be considered during the selection of the Mendi Tour 2023. This touring screening programme, organised by BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia, visits 50-60 cities all over Spain.
Mendi Film will contact the copyright holders of the films that are selected to participate in Mendi Tour 2022 in order to formalise the relevant licence, royalties included.
Any omission to these regulations will be resolved by the Organising Committee of the 15th BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia, in accordance with the general principles of law, and with the uses and practices of audio-visual festivals.
The interpretation and application of said regulations is the sole responsibility of the Festival Organising Committee exclusively.
The signature of the copyright holder, filmmaker, producer or distributor on the registration form of the 15th BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia implies the acceptance of the conditions of these regulations.
AWARD WINNERS OF 2021
GRAND PRIZE “Eguzkilore” trophee & €6,000
SCIANA CIENI. (THE WALL OF SHADOWS), Poland-Germany-Switzerland, 2020
Director: Eliza Kubarska
BEST DIRECTOR “Eguzkilore” trophee & €3,000
HAMID SARDAR - LE CAVALIER MONGOL, France, 2019
BEST SCRIPT “Eguzkilore” trophee & €2,000
GODSPEED LOS POLACOS, USA, 2020
Director: Adam Nawrot
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY “Eguzkilore” trophee & €2,000
A WHITE DREAM, France, 2021
Direction and cinematography: Mathieu Le Lay
JURY AWARD “Eguzkilore” trophee & €2,000
THE TRAVERSE, France, 2021
Directors: Bem Tibbetts & Jake Holland
BEST ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK “Txalaparta” trophee & €1,200
LE CAVALIER MONGOL, France, 2019
Composer: Laurent Parisi
BEST MOUNTAINEERING FILM “Eguzkilore” trophee & €1,200
MENDIAK – 1976, Spain, 2021
Director: Luis Arrieta
BEST CLIMBING FILM “Eguzkilore” trophee & €1,200
BLACK ICE, USA, 2020
Directors: Zachary Barr & Peter Mortimer
BEST CULTURE & NATURE FILM “Eguzkilore” trophee & €1,200
LA PANTALLA ANDINA, Spain, 2021
Director: Carmina Balaguer Montón
BEST SPORT & ADVENTURE FILM “Eguzkilore” trophee & €1,200
AFTER ANTARTICA, USA, 2021
Director: Tasha Van Zandt
BEST SHORT FILM “Eguzkilore” trophee & €1,000
MELTING LANDSCAPES GLACIARES, Spain, 2021
Director: Pepe Molina Cruz
BEST FILM IN BASQUE “Eguzkilore” trophee & €1,000
AMAGANA, Spain, 2021
Directors: Jon Goikoetxea Lopez de Alda & Iker Larrañaga
AUDIENCE AWARD “Eguzkilore” trophee & €1,000
MENDIAK – 1976, Spain, 2021
Director: Luis Arrieta
SPECIAL MENTION OF THE JURY
JULIA, France, 2021
Director: Jocelyn Chavy