TERMS AND CONDITIONS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE OFFICIAL SECTION OF THE MENDI 2020
The 13th BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia (MF) will take place in Bilbao (The Basque Country, Spain) from the 4th to the 13th of December 2020, and it will be organized by the “Asociación Cultural Mendi Film Festival Elkartea” Association.
The International Film Festival of Mountain, Adventure, Extreme Sports and Nature Films and Documentaries, BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia, has been a member of the International Alliance for Mountain Film (IAMF) since 2011.
· Every work related to the following subjects is eligible for submission: alpinism, climbing, mountain and adventure sports, skiing, extreme sports, ecology, environment, ethnography…
· Participation is restricted to those productions made from the 1st of January 2018 onwards.
· Each of those participating can compete with more than one piece, provided that a separate entry form is submitted for each one.
· The Selection Committee will choose and schedule the participating films. The Board of Directors of the Festival reserves the right to modify said schedule.
· The participants must ensure that they hold the intellectual property rights for the registered work.
·Participants must also warrant that no legal, contractual or any other limitation exist that could prevent the organisers of the MF festival from screening the work in public. Similarly, they must be able to prove that they possess the appropriate consent from people or organisations that hold copyright on different elements that appear in the film, such as music, images, graphics, etc. The registered participant is committed to keep the organizers of the MF festival free from any possible third party claim that may be initiated in relation to copyrighted material.
SUBMISSIONS – LAST DAY 15th SEPTEMBER 2020
· The submissions will be carried out by the filmmakers, producers or legal representatives.
· The submission to the 13th BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia is free.
· The submission must include the registration form, promotional material and any additional information about the film that the producer may deem appropriate.
· Every work, regardless of source language, must be sent, must be sent with a subtitles file (.srt) and/or a time-coded dialogue list in English for subtitling purposes.
· The participants authorize the use of extracts from their work shown on television, cinema or Internet for the promotion of the Festival.
· If the film is accepted, the pre-selected copy will be part of the MF Historical Archive, thus being open to internal consultations or being used as promotional material for the Festival. For any other use, the copyright holders' permission will be requested.
The masters selected as finalists must be digital archives that meet the following requirements:
Video codec: H264
Video Bit rate: 20Mbps
Frame size: 1920 x 1080
Audio MPEG-4 stereo, 48kHz, 128 kbps
In case the films are sent through the post (USB flash drive, HDD Laptop Hard Drive, SD card), the festival will not take care of the postage and packaging nor customs charges.
The submissions must be sent with three images and the poster of the film that will be reproduced, published or exhibited for promotional purposes of the Festival.
Requirements for the submission of pictures:
- Format: JPEG or PNG
- Minimum resolution: 3500x2000 or higher
- Maximun size: 5000kB
Pictures must be sent with the title of the film, location and photographer credit (or provided in a separate Word document). The pictures of the selected films will be kept in the archives of the Festival.
Please remember to include the Press Kit and director’s curriculum vitae.
The Board of Directors of the Festival will name an International Jury consisting of 5 members.
The International Jury will establish internal regulations in accordance with the Board of Directors of the Festival. Their decision will be irrevocable. The Jury will grant the following awards:
· Grand Prize: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 6,000€*
· Best Director: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 3,000€*
· Best Script: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€*
· Best Cinematography: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€*
· Jury Award: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€*
· Best Mountaineering Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€*
· Best Climbing Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€*
· Best Culture & Nature Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€*
· Best Sport & Adventure Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€*
· Best Short Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€*
· Best Film in Basque: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€*
The film chosen by the audience will also be awarded.
- · Audience Award: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€*
*The gross amount of the prizes is subject to tax.
The Official Jury will be able to give Honourable Mentions in various categories.
The participants know and accept that, if they receive an award, their work will be open to exhibition in other festivals with whom MF collaborates, always on a non-profit basis and with prior notification.
Any omission to these regulations will be resolved by the organizing members of the 13th BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia, in accordance with the general principles of law, and with the uses and practices of audio-visual festivals.
The signature of the filmmaker, producer or distributor on the registration form of the 13th BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia implies the acceptance of the conditions of these regulations.
The interpretation and application of said regulations is responsibility of the Organizing Members of the Festival exclusively.
NEW AUDIENCE – MENDI TOUR 2021
Every film of the Official Selection of the BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia 2020 will be considered during the selection of the Mendi Tour 2021. This touring screening programme organized by BBK Mendi Film Bilbao-Bizkaia visits 50-60 cities all over Spain and it has an audience of over 20,000 people.
Should your film be selected, we will get in touch with you in order to formalize the relevant licence, royalties included.
AWARD WINNERS OF 2019
GRAND PRIZE “Eguzkilore” trophy & 6,000€
TREELINE, USA, 2018
Director: Jordan Manley
BEST DIRECTOR “Eguzkilore” trophy & 3,000€
DARIUSZ ZALUSKI. OSTATNIA GÓRA-THE LAST MOUNTAIN, Poland, 2019
BEST SCRIPT “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€
FINAL ASCENT: THE LEGEND OF HAMISH MACINNES, UK, 2019
Director and Screenwriter: Robbie Fraser
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€
CIELO, Canada, 2018
Director: Alison McAlpine
Cinematography: Benjamín Echazarreta
JURY AWARD “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€
CHOLITAS, Spain, 2019
Directors: Jaime Murciego & Pablo Iraburu
BEST MOUNTAINEERING FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€
OSTATNIA GÓRA – THE LAST MOUNTAIN, Poland, 2019
Director: Dariusz Zaluski
BEST CLIMBING FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€
CLIMBING BLIND, UK, 2019
Director: Alastair Lee
BEST CULTURE & NATURE FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€
THE RIVER AND THE WALL, USA, 2019
Director: Ben Masters
BEST SPORT & ADVENTURE FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€
HOME, Canada, 2019
Director: Jen Randall
BEST SHORT FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€
NEBULA, Canada, 2019
Director: Jay Trusler
BEST FILM IN BASQUE “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€
ARTIKO, Spain, 2019
Directors: Josu Venero & Jesus Mari Lazkano
AUDIENCE AWARD “Eguzkilore” trophy
MANASLU, Austria, 2018
Director: Gerald Salmina
JURY MEMBERS 2019
Keith Partridge. UK. Multi-award-winning series such as Wild Climbs and Human Planet, or the movie Touching the Void are part of his wide CV. In 2019, he was awarded with the IAMF Grand Prix.
Rosanna Stedile. Italy. She joined Trento Film Festival in 2002. She is the coordinator of the Trento Film Festival’s film programme and she is in charge of the liaisons with international guests. Moreover, she is the festival’s representative at the IAMF.
Irene Larraza. Spain. Director of the Etxepare Basque Institute, created by the Basque Government to spread the Basque language and culture throughout the world.
Gaizka Bourgeaud. Spain. A very experienced and award-winning cameraman and director of photography for films, documentaries, series and TV films. He has been awarded for features such as Arriya, Soroa, Bertsolari… He attended the American Film Institute in Los Angeles.