RULES AND AWARDS MENDI
TERMS AND CONDITIONS TO PARTICIPATE IN THE OFFICIAL SECTION OF THE MENDI 2019
The 12th Mendi Film Festival (MFF) will take place in Bilbao (The Basque Country, Spain) from the 6th to 15th of December 2019, and it will be organized by the “Asociación Cultural Mendi Film Festival Elkartea” Association.
The International Film Festival of Mountain, Adventure and Extreme Sports Films and Documentaries, MENDI FILM FESTIVAL, has been a member of the International Alliance for Mountain Film (IAMF) since 2011.
· Every work related to the following subjects is eligible for submission: alpinism, climbing, mountain and adventure sports, skiing, extreme sports, ecology, environment, ethnography…
· Participation is restricted to those productions made from the 1st of January 2017 onwards.
· Each of those participating can compete with more than one piece, provided that a separate entry form is submitted for each one.
· The Selection Committee will choose and schedule the participating films. The Board of Directors of the Festival reserves the right to modify said schedule.
· The participants shall ensure that they hold the intellectual property rights for the registered work.
· They must also warrant that no legal, contractual or any other limitation exist that could prevent the organisers of the Mendi Film Festival from screening the work in public. Similarly, they must be able to prove that they possess the appropriate consent from people or organisations that hold copyright on different elements that appear in the work, such as music, images, graphics, etc. The registered participant is committed to keep the organizers of the Mendi Film Festival free from any possible third party claim that may be initiated in relation to copyrighted material.
ENTRIES – LAST DAY 15th SEPTEMBER 2019
· The submissions will be carried out by the filmmakers, producers or legal representatives.
· The submission must include the registration form, promotional material and any additional information about the film that the producer may deem appropriate.
· Every work, no matter what the source language is, must be sent with a subtitles file (.srt) and/or a time-coded dialogue list in English for subtitling purposes.
· The participants authorize the use of extracts from their work shown on television, cinema or Internet for the promotion of the Festival.
· If the work is accepted, the pre-selected copy will be part of the MFF Historical Archive, thus being open to internal consultations or being used as promotional material for the Festival. For any other use, the copyright holders' permission will be requested.
The masters selected as finalists must be digital archives that meet the following requirements:
Video codec: H264
Video Bit rate: 20Mbps
Frame size: 1920 x 1080
Audio MPEG-4 stereo, 48kHz, 128 kbps
In case the films are sent through the post (USB flash drive, HDD Laptop Hard Drive, SD card), the festival will not take care of the postage and packaging nor customs charges.
The submissions must be sent with three images of the film that will be reproduced, published or exhibited for promotional purposes of the Festival.
Requirements for the submission of pictures:
- Format: JPEG or PNG
- Minimum resolution: 3500x2000 or higher
- Maximun size: 5000kB
Pictures must be sent with the title of the film, location and photographer credit (or provided in a separate Word document). The pictures of the selected films will be kept in the archives of the Bilbao Mendi Film Festival.
Please remember to include the Press Kit and director’s curriculum vitae.
The Board of Directors of the Festival will name an International Jury consisting of 5 members. A Festival Secretary will be named and will be entitled to intervene in the deliberations; however, the person that holds that position will have no right to vote.
The International Jury will establish internal regulations in accordance with the Board of Directors of the Festival: their decision will be irrevocable. The jury will grant the following awards:
· Grand Prize: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 6,000€*
· Best Director: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 3,000€*
· Best Script: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€*
· Best Cinematography: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€*
· Jury Award: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€*
· Best Mountaineering Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€*
· Best Climbing Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€*
· Best Culture & Nature Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€*
· Best Sport & Adventure Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€*
· Best Short Film: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€*
· Best Film in Basque: “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€*
· Audience Award: “Eguzkilore” trophy
*The gross amount of the prizes is subject to tax.
The Official Jury will be able to give Honourable Mentions in various categories.
The participants know and accept that, if they receive an award, their work will be open to exhibition in other festivals which the MFF collaborates with, always on a non-profit basis and with prior notification.
Any omission to these regulations will be resolved by the organizing members of the 12th Mendi Film Festival, in accordance with the general principles of law, and with the uses and practices of audio-visual festivals.
The signature of the filmmaker, producer or distributor on the registration form for the 12th Mendi Film Festival implies the acceptance of the conditions of these regulations.
The interpretation and application of said regulations is responsibility of the Organizing Members of the Festival exclusively.
ENJOY THE FESTIVAL IN BILBAO
The finalists are encouraged to participate in the day to day festival activities, as well as to make the most of the special opportunity they have to meet other first-rate agents and filmmakers of alpinism and outdoor sports.
As special guests, the finalists will be provided with:
· Two passes for the official screenings.
· Two passes for presentations and social events during the Festival.
· Two nights at the hotel(1).
· An invitation to personally present their film at a public screening, which will take place in our theatres.
(1) Residents in CAV (Basque Autonomous Community) will be offered one night.
NEW AUDIENCE – MENDI TOUR 2019
Every film that has been in the official section of the Mendi Film Festival will be considered to be part of the Mendi Tour. Should your film be selected, we will get in touch with you in order to formalize the relevant licence, royalties included.
AWARD WINNERS OF 2018
GRAND PRIZE “Eguzkilore” trophy & 6,000€
BECOMING WHO I WAS, South Korea 2016
Directors: Moon Chang-Yong & Jin Jeon
BEST DIRECTOR “Eguzkilore” trophy & 3,000€
ARÜNAS MATELIS. WONDERFUL LOSERS, A DIFFERENT WORLD, Lithuania 2017
BEST SCRIPT “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€
RUNNERS, Poland 2017
Director and screenwriter: Lukasz Borowski
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€
FREE SOLO, USA 2018
Directors: Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin
Cinematography: Jimmy Chin & Matt Clegg & Clair Popkin
JURY AWARD “Eguzkilore” trophy & 2,000€
THE DAWN WALL, Austria 2018
Directors: Josh Lowell & Peter Mortimer
BEST MOUNTAINEERING FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€
EVEREST GREEN, France 2017
Director: Jean-Michel Jorda
BEST CLIMBING FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€
LEZENÍ NA PÍSKU - SEDMDESÁTÁ LÉTA / SAND CLIMBING - THE SEVENTIES, Czech Republic 2017
Director: Karel Viček
BEST CULTURE & NATURE FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€
BAYANDALAI – LORD OF THE TAIGA, Spain 2018
Directors: Pablo Vidal Santos & Aner Etxebarria Moral
BEST SPORT & ADVENTURE FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,500€
THE WEIGHT OF WATER, USA 2018
Director: Michael Brown
BEST SHORT FILM “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€
VIACRUXIS, Spain 2018
Director: Ignasi López
BEST FILM IN BASQUE “Eguzkilore” trophy & 1,000€
PASTOREAK, Spain 2018
Director: Eukeni Arriortua
AUDIENCE AWARD “Eguzkilore” trophy
FREE SOLO, USA 2018
Directors: Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi & Jimmy Chin
JURY MEMBERS 2018
Aldo Audisio. Italy. Director of the Museo Nazionale della Montagna in Torino from 1978 to 2018. He was also one of the founders of the International Alliance for Mountain Film, and he was the coordinator from 2000 to 2018.
Emi Ueyama. Japan. She has been the pre-selection programmer at the prestigious Tokyo International Film Festival since 2014. In 2015, she founded ARTicle Films.
Suzan Beraza. USA. She is currently the festival director of Mountainfilm festival in Telluride (Colorado, USA). Her films have won over thirty awards at festivals worldwide.
Jim Herrington. USA. Photographer who portrayed celebrities such as Benny Goodman, The Rolling Stones, Morgan Freeman, Dolly Parton...
Juanjo San Sebastián. Spain. High-altitude specialist and cameraman in mountain expeditions, scriptwriter and documentary director.